Post-move paperwork you need to handle
"*" indicates required fields
A change of address is one of the biggest occasions in life for most people. It goes without saying that such an important event is tricky to organize. First of all, it takes a lot of hard work to pack and move your belongings. Fortunately, moving helpers Kentucky stand at your disposal and will do everything to make your moving process easy and simple. Unfortunately, this process is not over when you arrive at your new home. There is still a considerable amount of work to be done. For starters, you will have to unpack your belongings and make your new home suitable for living. Next, you have to adapt to your new surroundings, especially if you are moving to another city or state. Last, but not least, you will have to deal with post-move paperwork. Stay with us to learn how to do it.
Relocation-related post-move paperwork
Dealing with post-move paperwork can be an exhausting and overwhelming task. But it doesn’t have to be like that if you organize yourself. So, we start our list with some of the most important relocation-related documents:
- Moving checklist. The document created by you. It is basically the list of everything you have decided to take with you. Why is it important? Well, before you start unpacking your possessions, you must see if everything has arrived at its destination. If you hire reliable commercial movers Kentucky, you can rest assured that everything will be all right, but it doesn’t hurt to double-check.
- Bill of landing. The evidence that the moving company took your belongings for transport. The most important details are listed on this document, and this is basically your contract with the moving company.
- Delivery report. You will sign this document when the shipment arrives. Double-check whether everything is there. Compare it with your moving inventory to check if all the boxes are there. Also, check if any of your belongings are damaged or broken.
- Order for service. The order for service is a document that includes the estimated cost of the move, with all extra services included. Every moving company is required to provide you with a copy of this document prior to the move.
Insurance documents are also important post-move paperwork to deal with
This takes us to the next step, and that is your insurance policy. Hopefully, you have hired reliable Kentucky long distance movers so everything turned out fine. However, if that is not the case, here is what you should do:
- Liability options. The type of liability coverage your moving company offers for damage to your possessions is not technically insurance and therefore is not governed by state insurance laws. However, all interstate movers must offer two different liability options: full value protection and released value protection.
- Go through your insurance policy. Every moving company is obliged to provide at least basic liability coverage. If you want, you can get third-party insurance for better coverage. In either case, if an unfortunate event happens, these documents are there to support your case. This is an important step you must take because if anything is broken or missing, you should check your moving insurance policy and immediately contact your moving partner.
- Copy of “rights and responsibilities”. Issued by the Federal Motor Carrier and Safety Administration. Its purpose is to explain to consumers what they have a right to expect from the mover. Take a look at this document if something goes wrong.
Setting up utility services also falls into the category of post-move paperwork
One of the first things to do after saying goodbye to your local movers Lexington KY is to set the utilities up and running. Your goal should be to continue with normal life as quickly as possible. In order to do it, you must first unpack and set up the basic utility services. Don’t forget that it takes several days for utility companies to process requests, and therefore it is important to get this done as soon as possible. Ideally, you should do it before moving, but it is easy to forget things considering the usually hectic moving schedule. Anyway, these are some of the most important utility services that you need to get back to routine:
- Water, Electricity, and gas utilities
- Cable and Internet provider
- Sewage, garbage, and other similar utilities
- Phone operator
Don’t forget about your medical records
Like we already pointed out, relocation is a turbulent period and many things will change never to be the same again. This is not necessarily a bad thing, on the contrary. But the cold hard fact is that organizing a full-scale move while continuing with daily obligations like kids and work is far from easy. What usually happens when people are doing several things at the same time is that they start forgetting things.
One such thing that people tend to forget is their health. So, we are here to remind you to organize your medical documents as soon as you finish moving. Do you have your medical insurance coverage and medical and dental records? Next, take a look and see where are the best doctors and medical institutions in your new area. Likewise, if you have a pet see where are the best veterinarians.
Other important paperwork to deal with
Ok, by now we have covered moving and insurance documents, as well as utilities and medical paperwork. We are almost there, the only thing left are these equally-important documents:
- Driver’s License. Important document if you are moving to another state. Don’t forget to check your vehicle registration, as well as the insurance policy.
- Student documents. Moving because of studies? Contact your new school to inquire about transferring school records.
The most important thing is to deal with your post-move paperwork as soon as possible. Resist your urge to procrastinate so that you could continue with your normal life.
how it works
Get in touch with Strong-Ass Movers via phone or fill out the quote form on our website to get a free moving estimate.
Plan Your Move
Leave it to our team to organize every step of your relocation with the help of our professional moving coordinators.
Enjoy a Safe Move
Refocus your energy on more important tasks while our skilled movers and packers Kentucky take care of your moving needs.